Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The New Year

It makes me happy that, each year, we still find it possible to find the changing of a clock hand so exciting, and still hold on to the hope that, this year, things will change for the better.
I know that, until now, I've mostly used this blog as an outlet for my frustration with various things, but it has also been a place that I tried to let that all out, and then stay hopeful for a positive change in the future. And for at least this one more post, the same is upon us. Cue anecdote. At the end of my first semester of college, I felt frustrated, burned out, and like I had moved no where at all. However, some different words from a family member finally helped me see the benefit of this semester. While chatting about my most personally disliked class this semester (biology), instead of asking me if I knew what my plans for the future were and what I wanted to do, he asked, "Well, did you figure out what you don't want to do?" All of a sudden, I realized that this semester was productive at least in that I realized that I need to make a change in my life, and that not everything I try will be something I like or what is right for me. So with that, I got to thinking.
Now, maybe a week later, I have realized that, as literally all of my best friends and my sisters have been saying for actual months, I need to get out of my current Environmental Studies major, and into one which actually suits me, probably in either Creative Writing, Journalism, or Spanish, and perhaps minor in a science that I enjoy (perhaps leading up to one day fulfilling my dream of writing/photographing for National Geographic Magazine). My dad, the extreme "realist" that he is, quickly wished me luck in ever finding work with a Creative Writing degree. This is hard to hear of course, especially since it took me a lot of courage to decide in myself to veer away from the sciences, but as my little sister reminded me today, I need to become better at hearing and appreciating others' opinions, but only using those which are beneficial to me and what I actually want.
And, funny enough, today I logged onto my school email for the first time in a while, only to find an email about my interest in the Creative Writing major (it was my second choice on my application) and encouraging me to attend a Creative Writing class in order to learn about the course and give my information for possibly joining the major in the future.
I can take a hint. ;)
So, with that on my mind, going back to school doesn't seem so daunting, and neither do the remaining 4ish years of my university education. Just like other years, I'm starting this one with quite a bit of hope, but also with a new brightness along that far-off horizon, and I hope you are as well. I hope that 2013 is the year that you, as well as I, finally do that thing--that one thing--that has haunted the back of your mind for many a non-January-1st-day. Go on that trip. Talk to that person. Lose that weight. Take up that hobby.  Realize that dream.
Whatever your resolution, I wish you the best of luck. Here's to a good year. Happy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment